Wednesday 28 January 2009

Staccato entry with ampersands and quite a few Coraline links.


Last night I dreamed I watched a duckling bite the nose off a chipmunk. First I thought the chipmunk was going to try and bite the duckling, but then the duckling got its beak to the chipmunk and took half its nose off! It was like a little pink false nail coming away, and quite gory.

I was quite relieved though, as at the time I was trying to keep a little batch of baby chicks & ducklings safe as they ran around the garden with all the cats out. Some of them ran straight for our goose (we don't have a goose, but did in the dream. Obviously), and snoodled under it, which was good. I suspected it may be willing to adopt the baby chicks & ducklings as it had recently gone broody, nesting on a ceramic character that was egg-shaped.

Not long after that, I got trapped in the rabbit hutch that the goose was living in & had to call Sj for help.
I think the cats may have caught all the chicks, too.
It wasn't one of my more successful dreams. Oh, wait! Sj did get me out of the hutch. That was good.

Here is the evil buttons site, the blog listing the joys of Coraline news in the run up to the film's release, which I have been enjoying. The art around the whole Coraline film is so pretty. However, I am uncertain as to whether the film itself looks dark enough for my Coraline needs.
But it is a film for childrens, thus needs to retain some levity. Then again, Henry Selick is Mr.Nightmare Before Christmas, so talking about children's films not being to dark is a bit of a moot point, there.

Anyway, I still eagerly await seeing it when it opens over here in May, for a film can look all different flavours in trailers, depending on who the trailers are aimed at. If the pre-release stuffs, like the prettiness of the Evil Buttons site and the beautiful Coraline boxes that have been sent out to various bloggers is the best of Coraline, I shall be just as happy, because it really is ever so nice. You can even knit a tiny coraline jumper, like the amazing Althea Crome if you like. OR replace your own eyes with buttons (this one is a particularly beautiful page, an compatible with webcams for uploading pictures to be eye-buttoned. Yum).

Also, the other day I was having a look through the Coraline cast list for the first time and saw that French & Saunders were playing the little old ladies who live with performing West Highland Terriers. It was a piece of casting that made me pleased. Pleased like when I first saw Jennifer Saunders in Muppet Treasure Island. Me & Sj like Muppet Treasure Island a lot. Sj likes it partly because she can mock me over looking a lot like the small boy in it. Of course, the small boy has now grown up to be Kevin Bishop of the Kevin Bishop show, which is brilliant. I think I win that one.

(See how I say he has grown up to be Kevin Bishop as if he is but a wee young lad. He's only a year younger than me)

You know what writing my blog has taught me so far? I haven't written for aaaages. I have been all drawing pictures. Now I have to keep going back cleaning up my clumsy bits, or going back and staring at them going "that reads rubbish. What do I do?". Rusty...word...brain... get your things in the order of the...y'know... stuffs.


That reminds me - my mum's on the home stretch in the latest
Septimus book. It's been doing her head in getting it to work right, be in the correct order and make sense all at once. She sounds a lot more sorted now, even though she is still knackered. It's the bit where the book is finished, but needs sorting. I always like it when you've finished a story and just need to jumble. It's all there and down and just wants a bit of hoover, instead of there being walls unbuilt.

Mmm, house metaphores.


Anyway, what am I talking about, sounding all knowledgable? I've not writ a story for ages. I've been drawing cats with little skirts on & speech bubbles saying "bum".


That was going to be the end of today's entry, but I feel I need to tack on an apology for arbitrary ampersand usage. They were being used out of laziness only, and then I thought they looked a bit sloppy (and, let's be honest, lazy), and have gone through replacing them. I think I've caught them all, but I may not have done. It's late now & I'm quite tired. Arrgh! Look! Look! There's one!

I can't even correct it now, because it would totally invalidate my hysterical reaction there. I could delete it all, but look at all the effort I've put into typing these words.

I would feel sad if it all went away. It would be like a piece of stray timeline after someone had been meddling in the past and changed the present & then gone back and they were all on their own in knowing what the original past was like. That's where the ending comes in, when the future is okay again, but what happens to that one person left with knowledge that doesn't actually exist...only, it
does exist?

It's a recipe for depression & psychological decline, if ever I saw one. Maybe that's what makes the protagonist of the film the true hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment